We will not be hosting a hike in 2017.
9:00 am to around 3:00 pm
The Sam Houston Area Council is hosting the eighteenth annual Ten Commandments Hike in conjunction with Scout Sunday. This year, the hike will be in Kingwood. The hike will be about five miles and take approximately six hours.
Participants will enjoy viewing these historic and newer places of worship and hearing a brief presentation at each stop of the history of the building, the distinctive nature of their religious belief and a brief explanation of one of Ten Commandments. The hike includes an event patch for each participant. All Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, parents, adult leaders, siblings, Girl Scouts, church youth groups, Sunday School classes, confirmation classes, or other interested youth and their parents, and friends are welcome!
The event costs $5.00 for each participant and includes a patch. Registration opens soon.
Each hike begins promptly at 9:00 am. Please arrive by 8:30 am and check-in. The hike is about 5 miles and takes approximately six hours (depending upon road repairs/construction and walking speed).
What to bring
- Comfortable shoes (this is a walking event)
- Scouts should wear their complete uniform
- Clothing appropriate for weather (e.g., jacket, umbrella, rain gear)
- Water bottle
- Sack lunch (labeled with name)
- Personal first aid items
- Day pack or backpack to carry personal items
Each participant is required to provide their own sack lunch. A shuttle service to deliver the lunches to the noon stop will be available at check-in so please consider appropriate packaging or container and identification for the lunches. The event is a "rain-or-shine event."
For Cub Scouts, the hike can be used to fulfill advancement requirements. Here are some ideas:
- Tiger: My Family's Duty to God #1, 2, 4
- Wolf: Duty to God Footsteps #1
- Bears: Fellowship and Duty to God #2b, d
- Webelos: My Family's Duty to God #2b and Duty to God in Action #2b