Summer Camp 2020
Summer camp is a week-long council-organized overnight camp for Scouts BSA that operates under council-retained leadership. The program provides opportunities for Scouts to earn merit badges along their advancement trail.
The current plans are to hold summer camp 2020 at Camp Strake, first-class and state-of-the-art facility for Scouts and their leaders. Activities will include shooting sports (rifle, shotgun, pistol, archery, sporting arrows), Wild Hex (aerial adventure tower), zip lines, climbing, rappelling, COPE, swimming, biking, ATVs, merit badge classes and more.
Camp Strake will have 20 campsites with pavilions and an air-conditioned dining hall, a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) center, 28-acre lake, aquatics center with a swimming pool and pool house, extensive trail system, basketball court, sports fields, chapel and more.
Registration will begin with a lottery system. Follow the council on Facebook at www.facebook.com/shac.bsa for announcements about the lottery and when registration will open.
Camp staff is an experience that is truly unforgettable. It is a chance to spend your whole summer working at a beautiful camp while teaching kids and having fun. Every day is fully rewarding to you as a staff member and to the campers in whose lives you have made a difference. Camp work is often demanding as we keep a packed schedule running the campers we serve; but the opportunities, rewards and experiences available to you on camp staff are endless. Serving on camp staff is the best way to spend a summer.
Camp Strake Location
Camp Strake is located on 2,816 acres between New Waverly and Coldspring near the community of Evergreen, Tx. Lake Livingston is 10 miles east of the property. The camp is a 1.5-hour drive from downtown Houston and close to I-45 and the Grand Parkway. Camp Strake is surrounded on three sides by the Sam Houston National Forest and has the Lone Star Hiking Trail close to one corner of the property.
- 20 campsites with pavilions
- Air conditioned dining hall with 450 person capacity
- Camp Headquarters building
- Large program pavilion
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) center
- Merit badge pavilions
- Shooting Sports Complex with rifle, shotgun and pistol ranges and for archery, including a sporting arrows course
- Climbing pavilion with restrooms
- Wild Hex Complex
- Zip line
- Climbing and rappelling tower
- Bikes and all-terrain vehicle ATV area
- Aquatics Center with a swimming pool and pool house
- Aquatics Center with lake (28-acre lake being created), observation deck and canoe storage
- Aquatics training pavilion
- Sport fields
- Extensive trail system
- Order of the Arrow ceremony site
- Arena for 1,200 people
- 1 chapel for 250 people
- 1 chapel for 100 people
- Modern restrooms and shower houses
- 40 summer camp staff huts
Camp Strake Progress
We are excited to show the progress of Camp Strake as of June 2019. For more pictures and information, visit www.shac.org/strake.
For FAQs about the properties of the Sam Houston Area Council, please visit the Camp Development page.
Wild Hex Complex
Camp Headquarters Building
Merit Badge Pavilion
Wild Hex (aerial tower adventure)